Best Move contest

Archive for all passed Best Move Contests including the dedicated poll threads.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

yea true dario and kayz... i hoped that will happen and i tried it, god exists did i said because it worked like i wanted, somwehow it's ok i comprehend it
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

I know I didn't give a hint with Teleport, but I knew that they will all die.
If you don't believe me, then this move just doesn't count :P.
Attachments
Kayz Cow Triple Kill 13'30.WAgame
(117.29 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

It's not bad, thought it wouldn't have hurt you to point out where the first and the second cows where meant to explode, don't you think :P.
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

I think the explosion points are obvious, but not, that the two upper worms slide down BEFORE the second cow reaches its destiny.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

Just to be clear, do you mean particular moves within a turn or a whole turn as a move (now you've said "two moves" in a turn)?
Dario wrote:Trying one good move and doing another good move by accident isn't a good move derived from skills, it's an accident that looks nice ;).
Part of a good move can be reacting to unpredicted things...like your blowtorch dario, or jakka's reaction to whether or not his worm fell on the knock... they are both clearly good moves derived from good skills, not accidents that look nice. There is a wide spectrum between 100% predicted in advance and "nice looking accidents." Good moves aren't simply, or aren't always turns that go 100% as predicted. We all agree that total accidents shouldn't count, like accidentally hitting space which zooks your own worm sending it flying and knock-plopping a 100hp worm. Worms is more like sport than game... not just pure strategy but also 'in the moment'...

I've yet to see a move in this thread that counts as 100% predicted and 100% explained in advance. Not even PinK's bat. He didn't say which bounces where...
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

The longer the sequence of chained and predicted events, the higher the score that move will get. If you are going to try a bat but before it you will make a mexi to reach the desired spot, then it is a lot better if you also say where you will land with the mexi.
My "knock + blowtorch" move can't be considered as a whole move because the knock was an accident, so it ends up being just a blowtorch.
I thought it was obvious to you that a "good knock + a good dragon ball" is better than a simple "good dragon ball", and the "reacting to unpredicted situations" can't be considered in most cases because is impossible to know if the player knew what was going to happen or not. Of course, he the player pointed out what he was expecting to happen but something different happens and you see he reacts quickly and effectively to the new situation then it is clear that he reacted to an unpredicted situation. So again, if I had explained that I wanted the ghost-shot distance and still failed the knock, the blowtorch move istelf would have been better because of having reacted to an unpredicted situation.

An example of the analysis of a replay:

1- first turn "knock + bat"
Wasn't a really easy knock, but I can't pretend other people to assume I really wanted to bat and not push both worms farther and block 3 with axe. So it could have easily been an accident. The move then is not a "nice knock and then bat", it is just a "batting to worms that were close enough to eachother". All I had to do was saying I wanted to bat both of them, and it would have been enough to be able to count in the knocking.

2- 2:19 dinamite double kill
I did the pointing correctly but failed. On the other hand if I didn't do the pointing but succeeded there is no way to prove that I really tried the double kill instead of just safely plopping that worm with dinamite at the same time I get a better hide. It wouldn't be the first time where I don't kill a worm that is on the edge to kill another worm because of hiding/worms order reasons. Maybe I should get some "reacting to an unpredicted situation" points because in my mind I was expecting red wind and planning lowG+mine instead of chute+dyna :roll:

3- 5: 15 50 damage with cows
I was expecting like 65 damage, but I more or less knew where the green worm would be by the time the second cow exploded. If I just pointed it out it would have been something good, but like this it only looks like a newbish attemp of causing a lot of damage to one worm.

4- 6:30 knock
What could have been a very nice knock could also have been just an accident when trying an easier knock (if the green worm ended where my worm ended it would have still been possible to kill both with shotgun).

5- 8:00 knock + sheep
Again the knock was meant to pile them for a shotgun double kill, but I knew that if I failed the knock I would kill them with sheep. So the sheep move was not a reaction to an unpredicted situation, who will decide if it was or not, based on what?, too unfair. But, the sheep move was good, although if I only paid attention to what would happen to my worm and his other worm and pointed it out it would have been a LOT better.

6- 9:35 till 10:00 roping and kami
The roping wasn't too clumsy and instead of extending the rope all the way to the medi-kit I made a small flight that, although isn't hard it is better than just extending the rope all the way to the medi-kit. Then the kami isn't hard too and doesn't need to be explained but it shows a bit of knowledge about the kami and about jumping.

In the end what could have been a very nice round ended up just having a few not-so-good things. Yep, of course that if you have 10 not-so-good moves in 1 replay that particular replay can be as worthy as one where there is 1 excellent move.

---------------------------

I hope it is clear now that this "good moves" contest is not about "good moves" that happened accidentally (for example the knocks in the examples). Explained and predicted > not explained. Reacting to unpredicted situations is good, but only if it is proven that it was an unpredicted situation.
Attachments
2009-03-05 22.09.34 [Online Round 2] @lNNNxDario, -Vuk.WAgame
(62.29 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Note: you can upload as many replays as you want, you don't need to wait until you think you made THE ONE :).
So here goes my first replay:
Attachments
Dario - 5'00 nade and mine knocks.WAgame
(103.41 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Ye, n1!
I've wondered what does -flaco sos master "elias"- means? :P
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

Ok then here goes the next one:
Attachments
Kayz Dyna on mine(pb at 315 seconds).WAgame
(124.42 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

quite good :)
TerRoR
NNN member

Post by TerRoR »

During a league with Funes, enjoy!

Holy 3 kills 8'35

Nade+mine 11'30

Zook+mine 36'55
Attachments
2009-03-12 19.04.25 [Online Round 2] Funes, @NNNxTerRoR.rar
(24.79 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Last edited by TerRoR on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

What about replay time? ^^
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

Kayz wrote:What about replay time? ^^
This dork it too lazy for that :!:

+kham tourn
Attachments
Khamski 24'10 timed mine.WAgame
(141.23 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

And he almost lost. :o Exciting game in end.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Zemke
NNN member

Re: Best Move contest

Post by Zemke »

Dario wrote:[...]Please change the name of the replay to something like this:
"Dario - 18'25 - mine with bounce"[...]
TerRoR :lol: ^^

ok, i have got my 2nd move, today against Jago, the jump after that was probably a bit bad xD, but it's a move contest :P
Attachments
PiNK - 2'00 - dynamite.WAgame
(99.04 KiB) Downloaded 173 times