What to do on equal points in CWT group stage?

CWT is a yearly hosted Intermediate tournament. It's considered the most prestigious of its kind and has money prizes involved.

What to do on equal points in CWT Group Stage?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:42 am

Points -> Head to head game
38%
Points -> Round Ratio -> Head to head game
63%

Total votes: 8

khamski

Re: What to do on equal points in CWT group stage?

Post by khamski »

Earlier today i had some research and found out that FIFA World Cup has different tie-breaker system than UEFA CL.
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournam ... eutral.pdf
page 50

Basically it's works exactly like: POINTS->Round ratio->Head-2-head results.
So this discussion maybe repeated some debates inside FIFA and UEFA comitees. ))
But they don't have point for close scores so we were doing even harder job.
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

I want to thank everyone for this discussion. It was a real eye-opener for what is possible if a lot of people put their heads together and just think, while providing valid arguments from both sides.

It was heated and turbulent, yes. Words like "childish" and "sore mind" were fallen by khamski, while I said things like "retarded idea" and "don't vote for this shit", but in my opinion it's sometimes necessary to be a bit drastic in such important matters, so no hard feelings.

Especially thanks to kukumber for drawing this picture, I didn't see this possibility. I tried to convince everyone here that this CL system is not a good idea, without exactly knowing why at first. I just felt somehow that it's horribly wrong, but I had no proof except this unfair Fantomas vs. Thouson situation. Furthermore I am very bad in explaining stuff :/.

I was really afraid that this CL rule could win and then we'd have to stick with it, since it's a democratic vote. :)
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
khamski

Post by khamski »

^ Good observation.
I have to say i fucked up when i didn't go into exploring all possible 3-way tie situations.
I was right overall but i had to explore all possible exceptions by hand before proposing.

And still i think tie breaker should involve ONLY players in question.
But unfortunately with bonus point for 2-3 lose it's not possible.
And i like that bonus point.

Additional deciding game between tied players is wrong also imo.
Last edited by khamski on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrTPenguin

Post by MrTPenguin »

Yep GJ by kukumber with that special example. Saves me the bother of having to vote :-P

You know what this reminds me of? Simpson's Paradox.