Can a game be canceled later because of a scheme error?

Discussion and information related to the open Intermediate league
Albus

Can a game be canceled later because of a scheme error?

Post by Albus »

Because of something unusual that happened to me in a TUS cup (https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/tus-discu ... ter-33426/), and because I don't see any specific rule for that situation, I would like to know the ONL rules in the following case: a game has been played, and later, it is found that there was a problem with the schemes settings, a player broke some rule etc. Does a moderator have the right to void this game regardless of the players wishes? Can a player, who did not notice the error during the match, request the game to be voided?

Some case examples:

1) game with wrong number of worms;

2) map type (open/cave) sequence not respected;

3) the game is paused, and after players continue, the first turn order is not respected;

4) wrong power/delay of a weapon;

5) the player breaks some scheme rule during the game (eg, uses some glitch), but this is only noticed after the game is reported etc.
Kilobyte
NNN member

Re: Can a game be canceled later because of a scheme error?

Post by Kilobyte »

Technically yes, but some errors are easy to spot (number of worms) while others are hard (not reduced clusters).
If a player repeatedly breaks a rule in advance for himself, he can be even banned.
"Unique: if we dont know him he's a noob. Well, if I dont know some1 I know he's noob"
Albus

Post by Albus »

But isn't it unfair for a player to have to repeat a game for an error he didn't cause?

There is only one situation where I would agree that the game must be void even after being reported, and it would be this: my opponent hosts the game using a scheme with wrong settings (eg, wrong SD time, wrong retreat time etc.). In this situation, if I lose the game and notice this after the game, I could ask for the game to be canceled. However, if I win the match and have to play again this match, it means that the person who caused the mistake (intentionally or unintentionally) will have a new opportunity to beat me.

There is also another interesting situation. Let's imagine that a Bo5 is interrupted. And after the game continues, the order of the first turn is not respected, but the interested person didn't notice it during the game, only after the game was reported. This person have the right to ask to cancel the game?
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

1, 4 and 5) Scheme settings can't be changed. If It is not written that the scheme is played with 8 worms it is because we simply didn't think people would change that. The purpose of this is not to alter the meaning of the statistics, and also simply the tradition of sticking to the original intermediate and only tweaking some settings that had quite a negative impact on competitions. Opening the league to scheme variations, even if the smallest of them, opens a lots of questions about how much, how often and what can be changed. Also, every possible variation should be thoroughly studied and balanced. Allowing variations but keeping a default scheme sounds good in practice, but in a league it gets complicated because some players will get confused about which one is the default scheme, or will simply not know there is a default scheme and will play against someone who forces them to use certain variation. It'd be a moderator's nightmare.

2) Map sequence is a suggestion, any sequence can be used in this league, the rule comes into play only when there is disagreement between the two players.

3) First turn order should always be respected. Although getting it wrong one time after a rehost isn't a big a problem, because who got the first starting turn was random anyway, so this doesn't change the balance of the scheme.

"But isn't it unfair for a player to have to repeat a game for an error he didn't cause?"
The game was not a league game from the beginning, because it was not in accordance to league rules. So it is not really replaying it.

"There is also another interesting situation. Let's imagine that a Bo5 is interrupted. And after the game continues, the order of the first turn is not respected, but the interested person didn't notice it during the game, only after the game was reported. This person have the right to ask to cancel the game?"
That is a nice situation to think about. Strictly speaking: yes, the game can and should be voided and replayed from the point where it was interrupted. Being a bit more pragmatic: come on, if you were so salty about that loss, how comes you weren't paying attention to first-turn-order?, you were just planning to ask for a void if you had lost and hoping your opponent didn't do the same if you had won.

Thanks Albus for bringing up these legal pot holes :).
Albus

Post by Albus »

For those interested, this subject has been extensively discussed here: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/tus-discu ... ter-33426/.

But after several reflections I came to the following conclusion of what I consider most fair (consider it as a suggestion only):

1) if both players don't notice an error in the scheme settings, and both want to keep the game, it must be respected, to avoid frustration/waste of the time of the player who won. An example of a situation would be SD with an option to drain energy. "Forcing" the winner of the match to play again the match, while the loser will get a second chance for a mistake he caused, can destabilize the psychological of the winner.
One observation here: if both players do this constantly, the game should be cancelled, as they would be using an excuse to play an alternate scheme in the league.

2) if a player, as host of the game, uses some wrong scheme setting, and the other player notices it during the game, he can request tech win if he wants, because the host made the player waste time and this can destabilize the psychological.

Finally, a piece of advice: never let a third person host the game. Be sure to you or your opponent be the host (or remember to look at 100% of the scheme settings before starting, something people don't usually do), in order to not to happen to you the same that happened to me in the topic mentioned above.