All-Time Ranking calc

CWT is a yearly hosted Intermediate tournament. It's considered the most prestigious of its kind and has money prizes involved.
Kayz
NNN member

Re: All-Time Ranking calc

Post by Kayz »

Then let's do just that for now and think of a better formula later. But replace the current thing asap.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

Do what? We have different proposals. What do you want me to implement? I also don’t want to work on a new system just to have it replaced after a foreseeable time. The new ranking would be somewhat final.
Johnmir
NNN member

Post by Johnmir »

Guys, i'm sorry for being that late but. The formula for CWT case is really simple.
First of all, NO points at all. Just a ranking 1st 2nd 30th and so on.

This system should be close to the olympic games. But since we have to rank people, who haven't got any medals we do this the following way:

The algorythm is pretty easy (Zemke, can you implement it):

4 stages of the tourney: 1/8 1/4 1/2 Final

You calculate for every player the following array of integer (integer = numbers for nonprogrammers): max_gold, max_silver, max_bronze, max_1/2(chocolate, lol), max_1/4, max_1/8.

Example: Johnmir. 1, 1, 0, 1(chocolate, we didn't play with SirG for the 3rd that year), 3, 2.

Then you just sort the list of players: someone with 1,0,1,1,1,1 goes under me, but the one with 1,2,0,0,0,0 goes upper me.
This is the most objective ranking way in my opinion.

If two players got the same array of stages: 1,0,1,1,1,1 for example. You choose the first number for a draw issue (1 - gold in this example) and put on the upper place the one who won the gold earlier. If i win a gold in 2009, but you made it in 2008, you will be upper then me, even if we are totally the same statistically.

For all those who got 0,0,0,0,0,0 (means they didnt pass through the group stage even once) - you just use the ranking based on number of participations. If i played CWT 4 times, but didn't pass the group stage i will be higher then a guy, who played only 3 times. Same number of participations - again, we count the first participation, otherwise, just a name alphebetic.

Thats it.
Johnmir
NNN member

Post by Johnmir »

Take a look how it will be like.

Under the table we give an explanation:

Ranking is based on a values for each player: (number of gold, number of silver, number of bronze, number of 4th, number of quaterfinals, number of last sixteen, number of participatioins).

So, Zemke, if guys approve this, it's necessary to change two things, a ranking calculation and a comment cloud if you put the mouse on a player.
Attachments
CWT ranking.png
(43.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
khamski

Post by khamski »

Didn't look into details yet but the idea is good.
Results of games themselves are not important.
Progress in knockout stages is.
No one will argue the fact that being in knockout stage and progressing in it is the main factor in defining the rank of a player.
Johnmir
NNN member

Post by Johnmir »

I want to add, guys:

Look at the current ranking, compare Terror's and Dario's results. And they got the same ranking? Oh cmon.
And now compare Terror's and Jigsaw's results. Only two people managed to beat what Jigsaw made, Dario and Chuvash. And Jigsaw is under Terror.
It shouldnt be like that, new players come to the tournament, they watch their idols, best players. And they get confused, a guy who won the tourney is somewhere on a 20th place? It doesn't inspires people watching the story of the tourney.

PS. I love Terror, he is my pupil in some way, and i used his name, cause i know, he will understand me. And forgive me for that :D
Senator

Post by Senator »

Johnmir wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 am Take a look how it will be like.
Shouldn't you be above Xaositect because his stats are 1,1,0,0,0,0 and yours are 1,1,0,1,3,2? :wink:

How about using the number of 3rd places in group stage for those who have 0,0,0,0,0,0?
Johnmir
NNN member

Post by Johnmir »

Wow, Senator, you are a really attentive guy!

I specially left Xaositect above myself, because i wanted to show, that i won the gold in 2009 but he won it in 2002 so i go under him. That is why i decided to keep him there. But you are actually right, i should be above him cause i took more high places in other tourneys.

In fact, yes, i agree with you, it would be perfect to count a number of third places in the group for all the (0,0,0,0,0,0). And only if the number of the 3rd places is the same, then count a number of participations. Thank you for this detail.
Senator

Post by Senator »

Alternatively it could be just a medal table (21 players currently). Players could share a rank or ties could be decided by who got the medals earlier. It's nice to see more than just medalists on the list, though.

If a player participates 3 times and wins 3 golds, should he be below someone who has participated 10 times and reached 3 golds and some 1/4 and 1/8 finals? That's another question.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

Just additional information for the discussion and what it’s been like in the past (well, over a decade ago): http://2009.cwtsite.com (Click “Ranking” on the left)