I deleted all my WLM contacts and I'm unable to restore them.

Whatever isn't related to worms
Zemke
NNN member

I deleted all my WLM contacts and I'm unable to restore them.

Post by Zemke »

I accidentally deleted all my Windows Live Messenger contacts. Windows' restore and import functions don't work.

Edit: Can't even add any of the contacts I deleted. For some reason it says that the user is already in my contact list.
khamski

Re: Crespo's Worms Tournament 2012

Post by khamski »

Msn is obsolete.
Lets use skype.
kukumber
NNN member

Post by kukumber »

Yeah, msn is totally bugged, wonder why people still use it. And because they use it sometimes I have to do so too, gives me hard times. :lol:
And skype would allow us to create a chat room for ONL, CWT or whatever else. Send message to offline users, voice chat and lots of other things. I gave up understanding why people won't use it, works for russians awesome, we hardly use any other soft for chat. :)
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Zemke, did you go to people.live.com and clicked on 'manage' and after 'restore deleted contacts'? Note that you can't restore contacts that you deleted for more than 30 days.
Did you check on that site if the contact appears in the list?

If you are still facing the issue, make a post about it on answers.microsoft.com and if needed, a moderator will ask your permission to access your account and investigate deeper the issue.
Zemke
NNN member

Re: I deleted all my WLM contacts and I'm unable to restore

Post by Zemke »

kukumber, Windows Live Messenger is capable of all the things you mentioned, too. I also don't exactly use the WLM Messenger, I use Empathy for Ubuntu.

Thanks for you help, Ivo. By the way, nice to see you, I sort of missed your availability.
Yes, I've already done what you said and it didn't really work. It added the contacts back and I can also see all of them in a list on the website but they're missing in the messenger itself. When I want to manually add a user back it tells me user is already in contact list. I also exported the contacts and they're actually all in the exported file, but again I'm unable to import them back.
khamski

Post by khamski »

I think Skype will naturally (unofficially) win over MSN in this edition of CWT.
And in the second one it wil be the official communicating tool.
The only thing that can intrude in this competition is TeamSpeak.
But i still hardly understand how it works,
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Thank you for your words Zemke.

Sorry if this can look like very basic questions, but when you select a contact on that people.live.com list, you can see, on a tiny icon, what type of contact is (eg. Hotmail/Outlook, Messenger friend, Facebook, etc). Check, on a contact that you want to add on Messenger, if it appears with the tiny Messenger icon. If not, make sure that when you click "Manage" you don't choose "Add people" but "Invite on Messenger".

Just a curiosity, but Microsoft is dropping the word "Live" and the official Messenger name now is "Windows Messenger", or just "Messenger" :wink:
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

Interesting, I didn't know that. Cool info, Ivo. Thanks!
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

I already felt very up-to-date saying WLM instead of MSN, but obviously they changed it once again.

Yes, it's showing the Messenger icon. I've also tried to delete the contacts cache as suggested by Windows but no relief. Anyway, I was able to export the contacts and I'm sure that when I create a new Messenger account I can properly import them.
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Eheh, MSN is not used for Messenger for a good number of years. It's referred for www.msn.com site as I told you.

It's strange your situation Zemke. Not very common. I'm not seeing right now what could causing the issue.
Sure you can import them for a new Microsoft account (new name for Windows Live ID now too). But as I said, if you wanna make a post exposing the issue on Answers, your case will be followed. It can last some time... :D but eventually it can be sorted.

Thank you for your words Kayz.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

To be honest, I'm too bored with this whole thing. I better just repress it.

By the way, today I was sent an email from Microsoft and they're still calling it "Windows Live Messenger" themselves. Well, that's just bad marketing.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

Microsoft to merge Messenger into Skype.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57545 ... -together/