Help to understand better Fall Damage

Replays, screenshots and anything that can help players getting better
Ivo
NNN member

Help to understand better Fall Damage

Post by Ivo »

I saw today, a post at Team17 forum that help a lot to understand better the Fall Damage. You can visit it here, but I copy&paste the entire post here, too:

"Now there is no more theory, it's fact. The fall damage is not activated depending of the way that the worm fell. Orange wrote during a match in the chat that he knew when the fall damage is not activated. I was with lots of questions about this for a long time. So after his theory, i tested it and he was right. I created a replay file with 508% of fall damage to show and prove that his theory was right. Please press page down when you watch the replay.

The conclusion about fall damage activation was:

1. When a worm slides after an explosion/attack and before fall, fall damage IS activated.
2. When a worm do not slide neither hit a wall after an explosion/attack and before fall, fall damage is NOT activated.
3. When a worm hits a wall after an explosion/attack and before fall, fall damage IS activated.
4. When a worm falls from the rope, jet pack, bungee, parachute or just when it falls by walking/jumping, fall damage IS activated."
Attachments
Fall Damage Activation.WAgame
(29.31 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Kayz
NNN member

Re: Help to understand better Fall Damage

Post by Kayz »

Yep, good information for new players, I guess most here know about it, but I for my part don't think all the time about it, I remember a game with chuvash when I knocked his 1 hp worm off a pixel in sd and he just survived :).
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

I guess this fits well in this thrad.

I axed an enemy worm which stood on one of my worms, so he fell through my worm on the ground. We all know that bouncing through worms activates fall damage. :)

So this axe brought 57 damage.
Attachments
Kayz 57 damage with Axe (pb at 02'40).WAgame
(73.09 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Domi

Post by Domi »

Today I played an ONL with a very intriguing turn.

Take a look at the rope fall at 17 minutes and 35 seconds.

I think it could be the Alien trick (hiting a wall and a top pixel in the same frame) or just that the worm could have loss speed while touching the right part of hole.

So, expert guys, come on with your theories. :P
Attachments
2011-01-19 14.24.00 [Online Round 3] @`NNN`Domi, PoD`SzoszONL.WAgame
playback at 17'35
(124.37 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Yay!

Very weird and I would like to see a good explanation about it.

Adding more fuel to the fire, check this replay too at 4:10.
Attachments
2011-01-18 15.18.33 [Online Round 1] che`chuvash, @lNNNxDario, Ivo.WAgame
Play back at 4:10
(142.48 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Guys, another strange situation. A very weird bungee fall damage.
Watch it and try to advance with some explanation, please :)
Attachments
strange bungee fall damage - 23'14.WAgame
Play at 23:14
(160.03 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Domi

Post by Domi »

Touched a "roof" (Down side of a pixel) , imo.
lacoste

Post by lacoste »

This is not the alien thing domi, animation of sticked worm wouldnt trigger, i bet. Weird one.
Jump was weird too, but ive seen simillar ones few times.

Nothing wrong in that bungee, you allways lose control when you touch bottom side of pixel with worm like that. Especialy when you rope into tight places and release space touching roof.
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Another weird case of no fall damage. If anyone see an explanation for it, give a step forward please! :)
Attachments
weird no fall damage at 4;20.WAgame
(47.14 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

I also replied in the game comments of this game.
Fall damage must be activated, so worms get no fall damage when they don't slide over ground or bounce of walls or hit other worms before landing.

Dario wrote in Knowledge base:

"As I mentioned before, many weapons (dinamite, mines, granade, etc) do not make the worm succeptible to speed damage, then there are some sure ways of turning the worm into that state:
:arrow: Make it slide on the floor before falling
:arrow: Make it hit one of the vertical faces of a pixel
:arrow: Make it hit another worm "

Weird that you wonder about this. :/ We had those cases a lot...
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
lacoste

Post by lacoste »

Kayz wrote: Weird that you wonder about this. :/ We had those cases a lot...
Theres a guy that people say he knows everything - Djoszee
Theres also opposite of him - Ivo :DDDD "Djoszee knows, Ivo doesnt" :D
Seriously, Ivo, not that this situation was something everyone should easily know, but you dont know the most obvious things. You keep asking about things that are easy to find, even though you are pretty active wormer, participating in forum talks and you are trying to improve more than common players. Sometimes you are even shocked about some popular scheme that you didnt know it exist. No offence mate, but someone had to highlight it :D
Joschi

Post by Joschi »

Arrogance anyone? There are no weird questions and Ivo just showed us that there are more people who didn't know it. The forum is a place for questions - our clan wanted to share knowledge about worm physics. But previous replies targeted opposite.
Domi

Post by Domi »

lacoste wrote:
Kayz wrote: Weird that you wonder about this. :/ We had those cases a lot...
Theres a guy that people say he knows everything - Djoszee
Theres also opposite of him - Ivo :DDDD "Djoszee knows, Ivo doesnt" :D
Seriously, Ivo, not that this situation was something everyone should easily know, but you dont know the most obvious things. You keep asking about things that are easy to find, even though you are pretty active wormer, participating in forum talks and you are trying to improve more than common players. Sometimes you are even shocked about some popular scheme that you didnt know it exist. No offence mate, but someone had to highlight it :D
For what I know Ivo, he has a fullfiling life outside worms.
So, lacoste, maybe not everyone has your time to pass in front of the computer and know everything. Sorry to say, "but someone had to highlight it".

And I didn't know it either. Am i noob? Oh nooooooooes, the drama.
lacoste

Post by lacoste »

I have nothing to say more than quote this small talk.

[16:57:25] <@domi> Poor comment you made in NNN forums, coste.
[16:58:22] <+coste`> why poor
[17:00:06] <@Ivo> I agree with domi. I thought it was unnecessary. but I'm not upset.
[17:00:18] <@domi> I already posted there.
[17:00:28] <@domi> Gotta go.
[17:00:35] <@Ivo> Tomek and Feche didn't know it too, and they are better than me, top players.
[17:02:11] <+coste`> "not that this situation was something everyone should easily know"
[17:02:39] <@Ivo> and... I still don't understand why fall damage didn't happen.
[17:02:47] <+coste`> dont make me quote everything you are shocked or you asking for, please
[17:03:04] <@Ivo> oO
[17:03:36] <+coste`> nothing wrong in asking, but better to first find info by yourself
[17:04:03] <+coste`> its like keeping creating same topic everyday when there were tons of those already
[17:04:18] <+coste`> you guys are so soft for any critic
[17:04:27] <+coste`> its just pity for you

I tryed to help him with my post. Maybe he dont know that asking all the time "like a baby" (no offence again) about easy stuff (again, not about this single post up there) can be annoying after some time for some people, then finally 1 of them came and highlighted it. Then you are making rude guy from me, coz, i bet, hes close to you.

And domi, if you dont want do spent a bit of time to improve and all you can do is asking all the time same things, it wont improve you. You have to feel it on your skin how it works, ie: first read, then test it in game and make it to happen. If you dont, they it will allways stay unclear for you.
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Finally I think I got it! :)

The ignorance points that was preventing me to understand it were:
- I thought the conditions to activate fall damage (hit vertical side of pixel, etc) were only needed for some weapons, like explosion ones. Not for knocks.
- After I understood that for knocks those conditions should be fulfilled to activate fall damage, I thought it was a slide (we see the smoke) but it could be not enough to activate fall damage because it is in the same frame the knock happens. Also it's not clear why we got that smoke. It can be due to hit another worm, or just because of the slide of the worm who knocked and not the one who suffered the knock.

Anyway, I tested a lot a situation of a fast knock (to prevent better a slide) of a worm who was standing on just 1 or 2 pixels, and I never got fall damage.
Ty for Dario who had the patience to discuss it with me.