starting luck?

Replays, screenshots and anything that can help players getting better
Dario
NNN member

starting luck?

Post by Dario »

Before complaining about the starting placement, one thing I'd suggest you all do is count how many turns it'd take you to kill all the enemy worms if he didn't move, and how many turns it'd take the enemy to kill all your worms if you didn't move. Comparing those and considering who has the starting turn can give you more or less an idea of how fair the placement was.

The first replay is an example (doesn't matter who is playing that game, even better if you forget those names because I am sure they will hate me for publishing this replay) of how not to react in a situation like that. Instead you should take the advantage of having more time to think your first turn (because you were the second player) and come up with an efficient counter attack exploiting the mistakes the enemy made in his first turn (as Johnmir said in more than one occasion).
After watching the first replay, check the second one and think again how fair/unfair the placement was.
Attachments
first replay.WAgame
(65.22 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
2008-12-08 06.00.43 [Offline] Alguno, Ninguno.WAgame
second replay
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Kilobyte
NNN member

Post by Kilobyte »

My opinion that everyone who starts the game say these tipycal things "its just a luck of positions", "its not a good game because thereis no many options (for example there is no a special weapon like 'railgun' what could hit throuhg earth and could take 150 energy)", many of us did that Im sure, even good players. The question is when the one realize its not true, and when does he stops saying these things :)

(I admit I had this opinion at the begining. Nowadays, if I feel I lose because of "bad" positions, I just say I cant do anything with such position. Its more fearful than saying "its your luck of position", and I dont look like noob when saying that).

EDIT: thats why it would be a good idea to "import" positions from a replay, and start a game with them. The two opponent may change their color.
"Unique: if we dont know him he's a noob. Well, if I dont know some1 I know he's noob"
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

the point of complaining about positions is to make oneself feel better, apart from that there is no other point, a game with manual placement is boring (that's a tested fact)

so, who's got drinkz?
Johnmir
NNN member

Post by Johnmir »

Haha, fun, good job, Daz :D. Well, i can only add that if we had too much luck involved in game we would have never had stars like Dario, Jigsaw and SirGorash. So i was always tried to learn more and always told to new guys the frase (don't remember who told me that, may be Jigsaw or Bytor): "Usually luck is rather something we don't know how to controll. The better we controll the game the less we care about luck" :P.
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

Lol, checked the replay only just now, and I see your point about bringing this out again, but maybe you should post it elsewhere? Dark is not a guy who has any idea about inter, sadly it doesn't stop him from saying bullshit. So if you want to spread some inter awarness you shouldnt start in a place where everyone knows inter ;)
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Heh, Jiggy, this replay is being linked from TUS (a rather new and rather inactive league, but league after all) and I just can't help overreacting when someone complains about luck at Inter.
I am even playing there now, but not to prove those who constantly say "Inter sucks, no skills, no strategy, only luck" that it is the exact opposite. Instead I am convinced (as I've always been) that those who don't say a word about it but are still not really sure are the ones we have to pay more attention to. One step wrong and you turn an indecisive into an inter hater :P, one step right and you earn someone who might start liking the scheme, or at least respect it and the ones who play it ^^.

Then I just couldn't waste the chance, given that replay, to show what they couldn't see :P.