Post by TenoriTaiga »

Congratz, Daz!
Where are signups for 2008 xD
"РАЗНОСИ ВСЮ XУЙНЮ!" (c) Gop
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

Congrats! Though it would be the same if i would send my congrats a year ago :P
Even my clock at morning sounds ''tac-tic'' instead of ''tic-tac''.
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

I always play at SD... if SD is to be removed than the entire game strategy of some players will be worthless.
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Antares wrote:I always play at SD... if SD is to be removed than the entire game strategy of some players will be worthless.
Word :P.
It is valid to say that the 50/50 luck makes it unfair sometimes, but in my experience what decides the result of an SD match is not exactly when it comes (assuming you were good enough to know it'd come on this turn or the next one) but mostly how well prepared you were for it. Just like with random placement: there is a random factor, but it rarely defines who will win the round, because what really matters with SD and random placement is how good we are at using those resources in our adventage and at preventing the enemy from using them in his own adventage.
This SD is somehow similar to the starting random placement:
They are very important in defining the way Intermediate is played, making us use tactics and skills that are very different from other schemes.
And you can't prove that SD and random placement are similar to crates or dud mines. Crates and dud mines are unpredictable and can ruin a very complex turn (ever use a jetpack exclusively to knock a mine because you NEED it, but it ends up being a dud-mine?) or a 4-5 turns lenght tactic (a huge sacrifice in order to get a good hide, and right then a crate pops up on the head of your worm -boom-). On the other hand SD is very predictable (countdown ends and sd will start the next turn, or the other one; no other options), allowing you to build a whole round strategy around that, thinking about not letting the enemy kill two worms in the same turn, thinking that you will need a way to reach him. And random placemen.... well we all agree on that being a nice feature.

A scheme without this kind of SD and/or without random placement would be just as good and fun to play, I'm not saying I woulnd't like a tournament of such scheme, but this is about Intermediate and it is very well balanced.
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

random placement definitely has to stay because without it we'd have only shotgun battles (boring) and the problem with sd is not the sd itself but some players who get ass kicked and then start hiding even if they have no chance to win, and prolong the round whirling girders for 45 second each turn (boring again) so I'm all against boredom (I also still think sd is unfair, as if someone got scales of justice)

how about making sd timer visible at least, or perhaps making time to sd longer than 15 minutes? I seriously doubt t17 designed inter for 8 worms battles
TenoriTaiga

Post by TenoriTaiga »

Fully agree with Jigsaw. Fuck boredom, fuck 1hp sd :S

p.s. Daz, how about of separating some posts to a new "SD discussion" thread.
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

Agree with SD defenders:P
dud and creates... no more , I never lost gae because SD (but sometimes I lost because I played bad in SD or a bit beofore SD :) ! ).
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

well, I've never lost a game because of crates, invalid point
Antares
NNN member

Post by Antares »

Dario wrote:
Antares wrote:I always play at SD... if SD is to be removed than the entire game strategy of some players will be worthless.
It is valid to say that the 50/50 luck makes it unfair sometimes, but in my experience what decides the result of an SD match is not exactly when it comes (assuming you were good enough to know it'd come on this turn or the next one) but mostly how well prepared you were for it. Just like with random placement: there is a random factor, but it rarely defines who will win the round, because what really matters with SD and random placement is how good we are at using those resources in our adventage and at preventing the enemy from using them in his own adventage.
They are very important in defining the way Intermediate is played, making us use tactics and skills that are very different from other schemes.
And you can't prove that SD and random placement are similar to crates or dud mines. Crates and dud mines are unpredictable and can ruin a very complex turn (ever use a jetpack exclusively to knock a mine because you NEED it, but it ends up being a dud-mine?) or a 4-5 turns lenght tactic (a huge sacrifice in order to get a good hide, and right then a crate pops up on the head of your worm -boom-). On the other hand SD is very predictable (countdown ends and sd will start the next turn, or the other one; no other options), allowing you to build a whole round strategy around that, thinking about not letting the enemy kill two worms in the same turn, thinking that you will need a way to reach him. And random placemen.... well we all agree on that being a nice feature.

A scheme without this kind of SD and/or without random placement would be just as good and fun to play, I'm not saying I woulnd't like a tournament of such scheme, but this is about Intermediate and it is very well balanced.
Damn you Daz... you always steal my thoughts and express them :P
Ukrop

Post by Ukrop »

interesting game
in Gus we trust!
TenoriTaiga

Post by TenoriTaiga »

Antares wrote:
Dario wrote:

Damn you Daz... you always steal my thoughts and express them :P
Throw rocks at me :P
MrTPenguin

Post by MrTPenguin »

Look who's back 8)

Congrats Daz. I'm really pleased the tournament finished.

After being busy for a long time, I've got a good amount of free time ahead of me. I've been out of worms for several months, and don't intend to rush back in, but I don't think I've played my last game :)