League scheme with(out) JP delay

Talk about anything related to Worms
Ivo
NNN member

Re: League scheme with(out) JP delay

Post by Ivo »

Come on Dark :)
You are used to play a lot of fun games with Bytor and this JP delay is the main reason for he don't use the league scheme.
The delay turn the round less dependent of who start, so a bit more fair.
DarKx'X'xLorD

Post by DarKx'X'xLorD »

Game with Bytor is rather pleasant if not to take into consideration a comment Bytor :P.

But it there is nothing. Delay Jp does not improve and does not worsen starting bad arrangement.
For fans of quiet game and Holy, cows are little offended... or not little :x
Mablak

Post by Mablak »

I can see all the pros and cons, but I can't really judge whether one version is definitively better than the other. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of mine knocks available, that's something I'll miss. Though certainly some of those knocks give you very easy kills. And people might try roping mine knocks a bit more now, if only occasionally. The best argument for adding delay is probably fairness on the first turn, however, there seem to be a lot of situations now where you simply don't have the ability to move all your double-killable worms, since you'd normally be able to move at least one with jetpack. I think there may be a bit of a tradeoff, where giving up first-turn dependency results in more position dependency, so it's not clear to me that this change makes things fairer.

But if this change is being made, people should be convinced that adding delay really is beneficial; if it's not clear then I'm not sure we should bother. I'll play some more with this scheme and hopefully be able to judge for myself.
Ivo
NNN member

Post by Ivo »

Thanks for your contribution Mablak.
Mablak wrote:there seem to be a lot of situations now where you simply don't have the ability to move all your double-killable worms, since you'd normally be able to move at least one with jetpack.
I agree with you about the fairness on the first turn and I think that this phrase that I quoted is in the same way. Because, the power of the first turn is not only to make a double or triple kill, but also avoid it to the second player to start.
"To bother" would be to erase the delay because the scheme, by default, had the delay. The starting point is the classic Intermediate scheme and I think that all changes to that scheme should be clearly worthy. So, like it was to crates and cluster power, to erase the delay, we should not have doubts about it worth. And don't tell me "people were used to the no-delay" as an advantage. :)