Best Move contest

Archive for all passed Best Move Contests including the dedicated poll threads.
Dario
NNN member

Best Move contest

Post by Dario »

A long time ago we tried to do this, but there weren't enough people interested. Nowadays there are more league players, so maybe we will get more people :).

Upload to this thread replays of you or someone else doing nice moves during league or NNN tournament games, moves that must have been clearly and accurately predicted using the homing or teleport cursor to point out what are you going to try to do. The more details you include while pointing, the better.
Please change the name of the replay to something like this:
"Dario - 18'25 - mine with bounce"

At the end of each season the replays will be judged in a way I still don't know* and the winner/s will receive a medal in their profiles showing who was/were the most creative and skilled player/s of that season.

*If the number of replays submitted is large enough there will probably be a group of judges that will select the top 5 replays, then a poll would be opened in the forum where people would vote for their favourite replay.
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

Its very good idea, maybe in the end we can make a movie :) and send it to wormtube :!:
moves that must have been clearly and accurately predicted using the homing or teleport cursor to point out what are you going to try to do.
:oops:

Comon, I wont be use tele or homing if wanna try something in every single round :roll:
We playing round since pretty long time so we know what is 'Luck' and what was planed :)
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

Koras wrote: Comon, I wont be use tele or homing if wanna try something in every single round :roll:
We playing round since pretty long time so we know what is 'Luck' and what was planed :)
I agree on this.
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

No, you have to point out exactly what you are going to try to do. Sometimes people make by accident something nice that could also have been done if they planned it, but it was by accident.
For example if you planned a double bounce but got a triple bounce with the same final result you failed the move, but if you didn't point the double bounce you could easily say that you planned it. Or a rope flight where you end up attaching your rope to a certain object even though you aimed the flight to another object.
So to make judging easier and more fair for everybody the moves are only valid if they were accurately predicted.
Wriggler
NNN member

Post by Wriggler »

Koras wrote: Comon, I wont be use tele or homing if wanna try something in every single round :roll:
Yeah, sorry Dario, you're outnumbered. Of course, point out non-obvious moves, but plenty of awesome moves don't need line-by-line commentary and teleport instructions to understand. God, talk about killing gameplay.

2 vs. 3 bounces and the worm plops in either case?!? a rope flick isn't good if you hit a lower spot than intentded on a tree?.... who cares?... still a good move...

Is "the best move" the best only because it is non-obvious and 100% precisely as anticipated?

Remind me not to play league w/you until this is over. lol.
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Trying one good move and doing another good move by accident isn't a good move derived from skills, it's an accident that looks nice ;). Then we can change the title of the contest to "moves that look nice (whether intended or not to happen)".
It is obvious that some moves are obvious and you don't need to line them out, but if something can happen by accident and you didn't clarify that was going to happen...

I think that I didn't express myself very well when talking about the accuracy when pointing out the move, so here are 3 examples:

Here is a replay by jakka with two good moves.
In the first one you can't know if he meant to bounce back on the pixel while knocking the other worm or not. So I can't consider the "knocking another worm without letting his worm fall" as part of the good move unless he was out of chutes. Also I can't know if he wanted to plop the knocked worm with the knock itself, or maybe he wanted to send him close enough to the water to use firepunch on the other worm, so I also can't consider the knock itself as part of the good move. On the other hand it is really obvious that he meant to plop both worms with the dragon-ball, therefore in this replay the good move gets reduced to "plop 2 worms with dragon ball".

In the second move it is quite obvious for me that he wanted the plop with the bounce, although it could have been better if he pointed out that he wanted the worm to bounce on the barrel and then fall to the water. But it is good enough as it is.

Also one replay of me with a simple move: knock and torch.
The truth is that I wanted to knock so as to leave the enemy worm close and far enough from the girder for a shotgun ghost-shot, but I missed the knock so I went for the torch move. Was it a good knock? no, just a good accident. Was it a good torch? well it isn't hard, but it was a torch and it was obvious that the goal of the torch was to plop the worm. Therefore the good thing in this move is the torch, but not the knock.

I am 100% ok with having a "moves that look nice" contest where it doesn't matter whether it was by accident or not, I just want to have a contest where skills and creativity are the only things that matter, but if most people want the other contest then we will have that one instead.
Attachments
1'05 knock+db, 5'15 knock+bat.WAgame
(95.66 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
7'30 knock and torch.WAgame
(79.54 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

i prefer darios way, because this is a contest and it's the sense to show skills, so show what you are gonna try to do :P
but if it's totally logical what is tryed it's not necessarily to show it i think, so don't count too much on it plz

i have one replay which contains two moves, it's already a "long time" ago but unfortunately i have showed what i'm gonna try, at least at the first move with the baseball. i uploaded the same replay to keep the organization.

at the baseball the worm had a good bounce and was gone exactly through the first hole that he plopped

the shotgun helped me to stay alive but killed the opponent
Attachments
PiNK - 10'20 - shotgun.WAgame
(96.74 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
PiNK - 9'00 - baseball.WAgame
(96.74 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Of course, this contest doesn't make any sense if the moves weren't done during a league or tournament game, otherwise you could just play many times against random players at AG and sooner or later you will end up getting a good turn without risking your league rank ;).
Otherwise, rather than opening a new contest we could just vote for the best replay in the "nice moves" thread of our knowledge base.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

but moves in Knowledge base are not only from league or tournaments hehe. i think this contest is a good idea and we should do that :D
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

What I tried to say indirectly, PiNK, is this:
Sorry, but those games you submitted are not OnL league games. If the submissions could be of "funners" then we could simply vote for the best replay out of the hundreds of replays posted in the "nice moves" thread.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

they are league games... dunno why you think that they aren't? :?
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

Because
PiNK wrote:i have one replay which contains two moves, it's already a "long time" ago (...)
And Tomek Joined the league only a bit more than a week ago :P. Good then! we have the first replay of the contest :).
By the way, it is one replay with two good moves, no need uploading the same file twice :P.
Zemke
NNN member

Post by Zemke »

ok, as i said just wanted to keep the organization, now i kno it better, btw. i took the " and " to show that it wasn't really long ago, just because it happens before the contest :)
hopefully many take part!
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

Vn baseball, but I wouldn't count the shotgun move.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Dario
NNN member

Post by Dario »

the "god exists" part gives us a clue :P, and if PiNK knew he wouldn't plop even though he slided so much I think he would have just jumped before using the shotgun ^^.