BO1, it's unfair? It's allowed?

Discussion and information related to the open Intermediate league
Albus

BO1, it's unfair? It's allowed?

Post by Albus »

Hi,
i'm here to know the opinion of some wormers about BO1 in ONL.
I belive many people that like to play worms also study, also work etc. And we know that bo3 games sometimes take very long (more then 1h). For example, my brazilian friend, "tita", said to me he don't have time to play league, because dont have time for bo3 games.
In that time, I didnt realized that its allowed bo1 game in ONL. But when I was reading ONL rulez, I saw that we can play bo1 game in cave, right (correct me if i'm wrong)?

Ok... I invited an onl m8 to play bo1, and he said to me that bo1 isnt serious and is not allowed...
Well, about bo1 dont be a serious way to play onl, I want to hear urs opinions...

Some guy told me that: "in bo1, you can have bad lucky with start positions.". Well, but we have that in bo3 too..

ps: and maybe another reason to play bo1 is that you can play with more players in a day, in case of guys who dont have too much time to play... so instead he play bo3 with one guy... he can play 3 BO1 with 3 different guys... for guys that like to play with many different people.
Kayz
NNN member

Re: BO1, it's unfair? It's allowed?

Post by Kayz »

it's allowed, but use cave to minimize luck. or play open if both agree. nobody forces you to play bo1
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Albus

Post by Albus »

Yeah... but in your opinion, its unfair? I would like to know the opinion of other wormers... I invited a guy but he refused, said that its unfair :?
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

It is not, if you play cave, but I would never agree to it, because I don't like the idea. Imo everyone should've have the possibility to start a round, it's more about starting turn than position luck.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Albus

Post by Albus »

Ok :wink:
Another guy told me: well, the bad thing in BO1 is that only one person will have the advantage of first turn. And I said: well, but in BO3, one person will have one turn more... never will be equal.
Anyway, this topic is just for discuss and know others opinions, and who dont like BO1 :)
Cya!
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

There are also draws, and the more rounds you have, the less important starting turn becomes.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Kilobyte
NNN member

Post by Kilobyte »

technically BO1 is allowed, the rules doensnt encore bo3 or anything (except PO games).
But BO1 is really unfair :)
"Unique: if we dont know him he's a noob. Well, if I dont know some1 I know he's noob"
chuvash

Post by chuvash »

I was that "invited" guy who said that "bo1 is not serious" and no need a drama, I just don't want play ONL bo1 games
Albus

Post by Albus »

Who is doing drama here!? Me!? :shock:
I just created this topic to discuss about BO1 game and know who dont like BO1 and why, just for curiosity.
In my opinion I dont think its unfair... in opinion of others guys its unfair... ok, no big deal, just wanted to talk about it.
And its fine... if you dont like BO1 dont play... I didnt complained anything about that. Ok dude?
kukumber
NNN member

Post by kukumber »

I don't see anything wrong about bo1 game, luck with position would always persist no matter what is the amount of rounds, as for starting turn it's not that crucial. Outcome depends much more on the actions of players, amount of mistakes, and how much bad they are. And it becomes even more a matter of actions for players who not as close to pinnacle of worming as Dario and Mablak. When you are making no mistakes during the whole game, when each your move is as complex as it's possible with given time, then you can think about that luck with positions. But until then you should rather concentrate on your own gameplay, it's far more decisive in my eyes. So I consider bo1 as fair as any other game.
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

Mablak: % of first turn in islands won: 83.333333333333%
% of island rounds won: 67.045454545455%
Dario: % of first turn in islands won: 71.739130434783%
% of island rounds won: 62.765957446809%
Kayz: % of first turn in islands won: 62.545454545455%
% of island rounds won: 57.064220183486%
Right starting turn doesn't matter that much ;o
Didn't put chuvash, for him it's equal somehow xD
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
kukumber
NNN member

Post by kukumber »

You can't tell if it was matter of the first turn or of the huge amount of other things. I think I have already seen some topic about those things before :)
And that 15 to 5% divergence is really nothing, it's not that huge, not 30-50% you know :)

Edit:
And again, I did notice that it gets more important for much stronger players. :wink:
Kayz
NNN member

Post by Kayz »

That's why I put Mab and Dario there, didn't I :) of course it's not that important if players fail turns, it's about flawless games, then bo1 sucks.
[FaD] im pro jumper
[lNNNxDario] i see
Koras
NNN member

Post by Koras »

yeah bo1 its not a best choice... but if U play for fun and do not have a loots of time tis okay!;)
lovEvilution
NNN member

Post by lovEvilution »

I think bo1 is fine. It's like playing rock, paper, scissors for who goes first. No one will know who is going to win the first turn and have a slight advantage. But if the map is cave I think the odds of winning simply because you got to go first is reduced dramatically. In a cave map I think the best wormer will win regardless of who starts, unless of course there is a free triple kill do to positions.

It seems to me that in cave an advanced player can use sd to their advantage and outwit the moderately skilled wormer. So my opinion bo1-cave maps are as fair as the typical bo3 games.